Saturday, November 27, 2010

To Every Thing There Is a Season, Turn, Turn, Turn.

A reading at a recent funeral reminded me of a favorite old song by the Byrds: To Every Thing There Is a Season, Turn, Turn, Turn. I like that song. I recalled that the song was lifted from the biblical book Ecclesiastes, and resolved to go home and read Ecclesiastes as soon as possible. I had to knock the accumulated dust of many years off the old King James. I opened it to Ecclesiastes. Have you read this lately? Ever? I was struck by a couple things: It’s not just not “preachy,” it’s downright stark, unreligious and fatalistic. The author, Solomon, presumably, suggests that everything under the sun is vain. The fool and the wise man both die, so why bother. No talk of Pearly Gates, angels and hereafter in Ecclesiastes. That’s for those girly men to come later. This is the straight stuff--no sweeteners. Though Solomon does seem to suggest maybe a little wisdom isn’t a bad thing. Sort of like an insurance policy. Don’t get caught up. It’s all transitory. He suggests you enjoy the simple pleasures of life: work hard, enjoy a good meal and good glass of wine. Good advice, I thought. Now I know why it’s called the ‘Good Book.’ Maybe that good book won’t accumulate so much dust again.



Luke Saucier, October, 2010



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jxxagVEO4

No comments:

Post a Comment